Sunday, February 27, 2005

My "HOLLYWOOD" Civic Pride

I hope that my articles have not only shown my love of Television but also my love of Hollywood. Not only do I love the Hollywood that serves as a euphemism for everything associated with the Entertainment Industry, but the city of Hollywood itself. I love my city and it's history. This is after all where I live and work. (Actually I live in the city and work in the euphemism) In fact I even state in my “The Pre-ramble” ,

"I live in Hollywood, California and am tired of members of my community being described as amoral and trying to undermine the fabric of the American family."

A couple of weeks ago I was coming home from work, and I saw right next to the Frederick’s of Hollywood building I saw this billboard from an organization called Citizens United.


Citizens United - Thank Hollywood for George W. Bush's Re-election!

If this type of statement was made to any other city it would be considered out of line, but because of some moral high ground it’s always open season on my town. Okay I forgot Las Vegas. Usually these people say, "The just have to pay for the sinners". Even though I can’t find that quote in the bible. BibleGateway.com Quick search: the just have to pay for the sinners
Anyone with half a brain can read my column and see where I stand on things. Speaking of people with half a brain, I wrote the following letter to the people of Citizens United.

Dear Citizens United,

My name is Tony Figueroa and I am a resident of Hollywood CA. I am happily married and a productive member of society. I believe in free speech, free expression and free enterprise. I am tired of members of my community being described as amoral, trying to undermine the fabric of the American family or whatever other narrow minded generalization you come up with. So you can understand that I was very offended when walking home from work on Hollywood Blvd. I saw one of your billboards.

You are certainly not being gracious winners. I felt like you were giving me, and my neighbors, the middle finger with that message. So where is the morality that you profess to have? By your admission you did this to see us squirm, so where is that compassion that you claim to have. On your own web site you say,

"Citizens United's goal is to restore the founding father's vision of a free nation, guided by the honesty, common sense, and good will of its citizens."

One must question whether your billboard campaign is even covered under the protected free speech that the founding fathers had in mind since again you did this to see us squirm.

If you have a grievance with an individual or group then address them, but I have never said or done anything to you. You have no right to send your hate filled message to my town. I certainly would not send a message to all of Washington D.C. calling them a bunch of narrow minded, delusional, bigoted, intolerant, conservative morons, when that message is solely intended for the members of Citizens United, because I am bigger than that.

Tony Figueroa

PS: I fail to see that "honesty, common sense, and good will of its citizens" that you profess to have either.


I saw the Oscar broadcast and nobody squirmed.

To quote Bill Maher (Host of HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher"), "Hollywood isn't your cesspool, America, it's your mirror".

Stay Tuned


Tony Figueroa

No comments: