"You know, before I answer any more questions there's something I wanted to say. Having received all your letters over the years, and I've spoken to many of you, and some of you have traveled... y'know... hundreds of miles to be here, I'd just like to say... GET A LIFE, will you people? I mean, for crying out loud, it's just a TV show! I mean, look at you, look at the way you're dressed! You've turned an enjoyable little job, that I did as a lark for a few years, into a colossal waste of time!"
I end my CHILD OF TELEVISION column with a quote. There have been more than a few articles where I have quoted Mr. Shatner in this famous SNL sketch. I use Mr. Shatner's quote whenever I felt that someone needs to be told to, "GET A LIFE!" because "IT'S JUST A TV SHOW". This memorable moment and my quoting there of has inspired me to create The SHATNER AWARD.
The SHATNER AWARD committee was informed that in order to be compliant with Robert's Rules of Order they must use actual dates instead of STAR DATES.
The SHATNER AWARD will be given to those individuals or groups who need to be told to, "GET A LIFE!" because "IT'S JUST A TV SHOW". The rules for winning a SHATNER AWARD are as follows:
1) The winners need to have had made their SHATNER worthy comment in a public forum i.e. TV, Radio, Web site, Blog, Podcast etc. Since the SHATNER worthy quote will be printed on the award itself, the SHATNER AWARD committee needs to verify the actual quote with a GOOGLE SEARCH. (Sorry we can't just give SHATNER AWARD to your uptight Aunt Betty or self-righteous brother in-law Phil.)
2) Comments made prior to February 1st 2006 will not be considered. (It will otherwise be a fulltime job giving out retroactive SHATNERs. (My apologies to The Parents Television Council and The American Family Association, but we the committee are sure that there will be many SHATNER worthy comments in your future).
3) There will be no nominees. Those who deserve a SHATNER will receive a SHATNER.
4) To avoid any conflicts of interest, neither Mr. Shatner or any SHATNER AWARD committee member shall be eligible for a SHATNER AWARD, but it is an honor just being considered.
5) SHATNER AWARD winners need not be present to win. (The SHATNER AWARD Committee would actually prefer it that way)
6) The SHATNER AWARD committee is currently entertaining nicknames for the SHATNER AWARD. (So far we have rejected "The Willy", "The SHAT" or "The Captain’s Log", but we are considering "The Kirk", "The CRANE" or "The HOOKER.")
7) The SHATNER AWARD committee promises to give the SHATNER AWARD the respect it deserves. Therefore we will not make comments like, "Last week we SHAT on Pat Robertson". This is beneath us.
8) Unlike other awards, the SHATNER AWARD committee encourages political statements with the understanding that your statement may make you eligible for another SHATNER AWARD (Limit one (1) SHATNER AWARD per statement).
9) SHATNER AWARD winners who engage in conduct unbecoming a SHATNER AWARD winner may win another SHATNER AWARD.
10) Until further notice there will be no SHATNER swag bags (Subject to change).
The motion passed by a vote of 13 yes, 03 no and 01 GET A LIFE.