Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Jon Stewart, Keith Olbermann and me.




This time last year I wrote an article titled My first laugh post 9/11. I wanted to express what I felt on that tragic day and what I had to do as a comedian so I could go back to the business of being funny. What I wrote was from the heart. People either liked what I said or respectfully disagreed. No one ever questioned my sincerity. You can understand that I was very disturbed when I heard that John Gibson, on his radio show, mocked Jon Stewart during a discussion of Philadelphia Daily News columnist Stu Bykofsky's August 9th column, Titled To save America, we need another 9/11. Gibson aired a clip of Stewart's remarks from the September 20, 2001 broadcast of The Daily Show and mocked Stewart for the emotional remarks he made shortly after the September 11th terrorist attacks. Gibson's executive producer (Angry Rich) called Stewart a “phony”.



At the end of the day Jon Stewart is a class act and John Gibson deserves to be Keith Olbermann’s "Worst Person in the World". To quote Keith Olbermann (August 14, 2007), "You've got a lot of damn nerve doubting the sincerity of anybody else's".



Stay Tuned


Tony Figueroa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say Tony, that I just read your post on BC Magazine about Defiance, Ohio, and I think I've figured out why you weren't the first to put it on the map. You're a terrible writer!! Run on sentences that are parsed together, with no subject-verb agreement, or improper context. It's frustrating reading your posts because it's hard to believe you're famous with such horrible writing. I'd stick to stand-up where no one has to deal with your excessive commas, bad sentence structure, and terrible editing.