Friday, May 10, 2013

Your Mental Sorbet: Svengoolie

Here is another "Mental Sorbet" that we could use to momentarily forget about those things that leave a bad taste in our mouths. 

Svengoolie is one of the few horror movie shows left on broadcast television. The title is taken from the character that hosts the program. Svengoolie introduces the film, tells jokes and relates trivia about the movie. The character was originally portrayed by Jerry G. Bishop when the show aired from 1970 to 1973.
When the show returned in 1979, the role was taken over by Rich Koz, who plays the part to the present day.



Svengoolie has fans all over the country- proven by the fact that they voted him “Best Horror Host of 2009” in the national Rondo horror awards.

The show has been a long-running local TV program in the Chicago area, and has in recent years been seen nationally hosting the Saturday night movie on Me-TV.

Recently Me-TV was added to my cable system. I am a big fan of the Universal horror movies and since Svengoolie shows the classic Universal horror films (many of which have not been seen on broadcast television in years) I became an instant Svengoolie fan. After all my generation were first introduced to these horror films thanks to local TV Horror Hosts. I sent Rich Koz/Svengoolie a picture that I did on photoshop.
I was thrilled to see my graphic appear on the episode.

 
This makes up for all those times that the Romper Room lady never said hi to me through the Magic Mirror.

Check out Svengoolie.com


Stay Tuned


Tony Figueroa

No comments: